What are the geographic characteristics of Italy/Rome?
How did the geographic characteristics help Rome to develop?
Who else lived on the Italian peninsula other than the Romans in the early era?
How did different Roman foundation stories/myths help to shape their culture? (i.e. revisit the Aeneid and Romulus and Remus stories)
How did the Greeks influence the foundation of Rome?
What is a republic? How was the roman republic organized? What sector of society made up the Roman senate?
Look at the sheet of terms/roles to help you with this question
Also reference the sheet with the chart of the Roman republic government to help you study
– How did Roman democracy compare to Athenian?
– How did the 12 tables reform government/legal code?
– What’s the difference between a republic and an empire?
– Why was gaining control of the Mediterranean area a difficult task at this time? (i.e. Who else existed there?)
How did Roman fighting style help them establish an empire? (see readings from wars with Carthage)
– What advantages did Roman military have over other armies? How did this help their empire grow?
– Why were conquered people open minded to have the Romans rule them (initially)?
– Why is a republic ill equipped to govern a large amount of land?
– How did the Senate fail to meet the people’s needs under the republic?
– How did the Gracchus brothers try to help the poor during the tense days of the republic? What needs did the people have?
– How did the senate respond to the Gracchus brothers? Why did the senate’s response to the Gracchus brothers spell doom for them?
– What conditions led to Caesar’s rise to power?
– How did people like Marius and Sulla set the stage for Caesar?
– Was Caesar a hero or a villain? (know the main arguments for each side) What were the implications of his actions on the Republic?
– What happened after Caesar was murdered?
– How did Octavian come to be the first true emperor of Rome (hint: what types of methods did he use to rise to power?)
– How was society well-governed during the Pax Romana? How did Augustus help stabilize society?
– Know the answers to the video worksheet completed for hw (from the Engineering an Empire video clips)
– What was Roman society sometimes called a Greco Roman society? How does the Pantheon illustrate this concept?
– Why was Rome sometimes an unpleasant place to live?
– How did the Roman government deal with these problems?
– Why is Marcus Aurelius a unique emperor?
– What does cosmopolitan mean? Why is Pompeii a famous city? How does Pompeii illustrate the pos/neg sides of living in a city? How did the people in Pompeii explain the destruction happening around them?
– Be able to recognize the areas conquered by the Roman empire.
– Who was the founder of Christianity and where did the religion originate from?
– How was/is Christianity similar to/different from Judiasm?
– What are the basic values of Christianity?
– How did Christianity start to gain followers? Why were people attracted to this religion?
– What was Roman religion like before Christianity and what was Roman policy towards other religions?
– Why did Christianity threaten Roman government? How did they treat the Christians?
– How did slavery function in the Roman empire?
– How were slaves treated?
– How did Romans respond to uprisings: – case study: Spartacus rebellion
– How did Diocletian and Constantine both rise to power (but remember this doesn’t happen at the same time in history. Constantine is after Diocletian)
– What reforms did Diocletian and Constantine make while acting as emperor? Impact of these reforms?
– What are the political, economic, social, and military reasons credited to causing the fall of Rome? Which cause was the main factor to the downfall?
Use our Cheap Academic Essay service for guaranteed success!