Iron Thiocyanate Equilibrium
1. Write the equilibrium constant expression for the following reaction.
Co2+(aq) + 4Cl(aq) CoCl
In which direction will the equilibrium shift if [Co2+] is increased?
In which direction will the equilibrium shift if [CoCl42] is decreased?
2. Using Chatelier’s principle, predict the direction of the net reaction in each of the
following systems equilibrium systems as a result of increasing the pressure at
constant temperature (ie., decreasing the volume available to any gases.)
N2(g) + O2(g) 2NO(g)
Sn(s) + 2H+(aq) Sn
CaO(s) + CO2(g) CaCO
(g) + Cl2(g)
(aq) + H2(g)
3. Write equilibrium constant expressions for each of the systems given in question
4. Explain the shifts you predicted in question 2 in terms on the equilibrium constant
5. What effect (shift from the right or to the left) does an increased in temperature have
on each of the following systems at equilibrium? Explain.
a. 3O2(g) 2O
H= 284 kJ
b. 2SO2(g) + O2(g)
H= 198 kJ
6. Complete the table below for the reaction,
Ni(s) + 4 CO(g) Ni(CO)
H < 0
Answering “‹”, “› ”, “ﬁ
”, “ﬂ ”, or “no change” after the perturbation is made.
What is the
effect on the
the right after
below is made
e.g. argon is
More Ni is
More CO is
T is increased
Note: ‹ shifts to the left, › increases, ﬁ
shifts to the right, ﬂ decreases.
Use our Cheap Academic Essay service for guaranteed success!