CSUF ART 101 – Instructor: P. Drew Museum Assignment
One of the main objectives of this assignment is to stimulate you to look more critically at art. Visit a museum from the approved list and choose any two-dimensional (painting, drawing, etc.) artwork that you will write about. A photograph is not an acceptable work for this assignment.
This will be a formal analysis paper.
A formal analysis paper includes not only a description of the work, but also more importantly an evaluation of the formal elements and design principles utilized by an artist in creating art.
Choose artwork that has enough substance for you to write your essay.
Your essay must be a minimum of two typed, double-spaced pages. Format: Font should be 12 pt. Margins: No more than 1” on each side. Type your full name, title of the course and due date on the cover sheet. Center your essay’s title on the next line.
Papers must include:
- Museum receipt
- Completed Worksheet Companion
- A photograph of you at the museum
- A photograph of the work you have chosen (if you are allowed to photograph it)
Please staple and submit them together with your museum paper. Remember that using outside sources without citing them is plagiarism, which is a violation of the rules concerning academic honesty, and will earn an automatic F. Your paper will be submitted to Turnitin.com.
Be sure to use the Worksheet Companion to write down notes when you go to the museum.
This worksheet must be completed and is part of your total possible points.
Your essay should contain the following sections:
Write a brief narrative of your visit to the museum, what museum did you choose? What were your expectations of the museum visit? Identify the artist, title, date, location, dimension, and medium of the work.
Body of the Paper
In an organized, multiple main body paragraphs, discuss and analyze the artwork’s
form, subject manner/content. You will include the formal elements, use your worksheet companion to help you with this.
Describe your museum your experience overall.
Papers will not be accepted via email. Late papers will not be accepted!
Museum List Museum Assignment
MUSEUMS IN THE AREA: Remember, you may select only from a museum on this list.
Check websites of museums before you visit to check their hours, entrance fees, etc.
Local museums often have reduced admission for students with student cards.
Some museums have one day or one evening when admission is free.
Extra credit opportunity, if you attend one of the major museums in the LA Area or San Diego area you will earn an extra credit of 15 additional points. If you choose to attend one of the local Orange County museum listed, no extra credit available.
Remember, the local museums are small and you will have a different experience.
- Paul Getty Museum, 1200 Getty Center Drive, Brentwood
- Huntington Library, Museum and Botanical Gardens, 1151 Oxford Road, San Marino
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), 5905 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, http://www.lacma.org
- Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) 250 South Grand Avenue and 152 N. Central Avenue, Los Angeles, http://www.moca-la.org
- Norton Simon Museum of Art, 411 West Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, http://www.nortonsimon.org
- San Diego Museum of Art, 1450 El Prado, Balboa Park, San Diego
- UCLA Armand Hammer Museum of Art and Cultural Center, 0899 Wilshire Boulevard. Westwood
- Orange County Museum of Art (local – no extra credit points) 850 San Clemente Drive, Newport Beach, CA 92660 http://www.ocma.net
- Bowers Museum, 2002 N. Main Street, Santa Ana (local – no extra credit points)
- Laguna Art Museum, (local – no extra credit points) 307 Cliff Drive, Laguna Beach, 92651 http://www.lagunaartmuseum.org.
Use our Cheap Academic Essay service for guaranteed success!