In this class, you will complete an Instructor Graded Assignment in Units 1 to 10. These Assignments give you a chance to apply the skills you have learned as you complete each unit. You will have a chance to solve problems using a combination of the math skills learned and internet research.
Unit 1 focuses on solving basic math problems, which is covered in your reading from:
● Chapter 1: “Review of Whole Numbers” ● Chapter 2: “Review of Fractions” ● Chapter 3: “Decimals” ● Chapter 4: “Percentages”
You must show your work at all times. The steps for solving each problem must be explained. Failure to do so could result in your submission being given a 0 grade. If you have any questions about how much work to show, please contact your instructor.
Assignments must be submitted as a Microsoft® Word® document and uploaded to the Dropbox for Unit 1. Type all answers directly in this Assignment below each question.
All Assignments are due by Tuesday at 11:59 p.m. ET of the assigned unit.
One of the benefits of attending here at Kaplan is that we have a tremendous amount of resources available for you. If you find yourself having difficulties completing this exercise, consider taking advantage on one or more of the following resources:
1. Textbook: The textbook reading assigned for each unit includes the topics and calculation details for each type of problem you will complete.
2. LiveBinders: In the LiveBinder for the unit, you will find more information on unit topics, example problems, and video content on the unit’s topics. To access the LiveBinder for a unit, use the menu on the left side of the classroom, select the unit you are in, and when you click the unit link several additional links will appear below the unit heading, one of those links will be “Live Binders.”
3. KU Math Center: Take advantage of the KU Math Center’s many services: a. Math Tutoring b. Question & Answer Services c. Request a Video Example Services d. Project Review Services (be sure to submit Assignments early enough to receive feedback and make corrections before the Assignment due date, 24 hour turn-around times Monday-Thursday and 48 hour turn-around times on weekends are typical). e. Math Center Reference Library
To access the KU Math Center, start at the KU Campus Home Page. From the KU Campus Home Page, select My Studies (top menu bar), then select Academic Support Center, and review the Math Center offerings.
4. Email Your Instructor: Your instructor is only an email away; when you cannot make any more progress on a problem, reach out. Send your instructor the work you started and steps of the problem you have completed so far, and ask for help. Your instructor will respond within 24 hours.
Basic Math Assignment (Total 40 Points)
Question 1: (4 Points)
a) The price of a product went up $3 in 2013 and went down $4 in 2014. What is the overall change in price over the two year period? b) Jane bounced three checks and the bank charge for each was $35. Use a negative or positive sign to express the total service charges. c) 29 ÷ 6 = (express using remainder) d) 4 – (- 6)
Question 2: (8 Points)
a) 0.4 * 0.7 = b) Sam’s checking account was overdrawn $40. If he deposited $30, what is his new balance? c) Aunt Jean’s debts were divided between three of her nieces. If she owed a total of $1,623, how much was owed by each niece? d) 0.17 – (-6.9) = (round to the nearest thousandth) e) 17.9 * (-3) = f) -16.9 * (-4.9) = g) 14 ÷ 7.9 = (round to the nearest tenth) h) If the bank was asked to reverse a service charge they’d previously assessed, could the following problem be the correct way of calculating this? $140 – (-35) = $175. True or false
Question 3: (12 Points)
a) 1/3 + 1/4 = b) 1/2 – 4/5 = c) (1/7) (-2/3) = d) 7 ÷ 7/3 =
Question 4: (16 Points)
Lynn and Michael have been offered jobs where they will be paid strictly on commissions. They expect to receive 4% commissions on all sales of Solar Panels they close. Lynn’s goal is to earn a gross salary of $60,000 a year. Michael’s goal is to earn a gross salary of $20,000 a year part-time. How much in Solar Panel sales would Lynn and Michael need in order to reach their targeted salaries? Show your work.
Use our Cheap Academic Essay service for guaranteed success!